Prefab or a prefabricated house is a huge deviation from the traditional construction of houses. Prefabricated house are those which have parts being manufactured in a controlled environment in a factory then the parts are shipped to a site to be assembled.
One of the most common types of prefab is the panelized home. They are manufactured in a factory by panels or walls, and then assembled to the site. However, there are multiple constructions to be done after the assembly such as flooring, cabinets, stairs, etc.
The modular home on the other hand is manufactured my modules and attached end-to-end or stacked depending on the desired designs. Just imagine the concept similar in stacking shipping containers only the materials are rather homey and not as heavy.
A manufactured home or a mobile home is also prefabricated house. These are basically homes built on chassis of the vehicle. While a few are opting for the wheels to be removed, a lot are opting for the wheels for mobilization.
Here are the pros and cons of living in a prefabricated house:
Prefabricated House Pros
- Affordability primarily due to fewer man hours needed to complete the house.
- Eliminates the cost of construction delays as the parts of the house are manufactured in a controlled environment or in a factory.
- Lesser building process as some modules are already constructed off-site.
- Sustainability as many of the houses is in-fact earthquake, fire, and calamity resistant.
- A strict inspection to the quality of the manufactured part of the house is imposed thus ensuring their best qualities.
Prefabricated House Cons
- You are only buying the house. You need to pay separately for the land you want it installed if you do not own a parcel yet.
- Not many are still opting for a prefabricated house thus it can be a challenge to market your prefab house if you want to sell it.
- Prefab costs less but the down payment may be huge compared to traditional houses.
- If the factory is far from the on-site construction, you may spend more on the tracking of the materials.
- There can be a limit on the selection ton what the company offers as the modules are manufactured in a factory.